Monday, December 5, 2011

Texas High School Football Playoffs

Here in Texas we live, breath, and sleep football, more specifically high school football.  It is that time again, the state semi-finals are upon us, and the best of the best have made it through. 

In Texas, we have five different classifications, in regards to 11 man football, with 1A being the smallest schools based on enrollment and 5A being the very largest.  Each classification has two divisions, which are based on enrollment, so really each classification has two state champs.  I like that for the kids, so the smaller schools in each classification get a chance to compete for a title.  Not all schools are created equally here, especially the very small schools who barely can get new uniforms, much less the nice huge indoor facilities some large schools have.

So, here are the pairings, starting from 1A -5A:

1A DI
Stamford vs. Mart I see Mart winning a close one.  The Mart offense seems to be running on all cylinders while averaging over 40 points per game so far, while the defense has bend no break attitude.  Stamford could score some, but not enough this time.  Two very even teams.
Garrison vs. Mason After opening up with a huge win against La Villa, Mason had a hard fought defensive struggle with Ganado, but turned around and blew out Shiner.  This week they face a very consistent Garrison, with what I would say is well rounded team.  I am picking Garrison to win handily.

1A DII
Wellington vs. Munday I believe Munday wins big. They are averaging over 50 points in their four games to this point in the playoffs.  Wellington seems to have a good defense, but not the scoring punch.
Tenaha vs. Burton Tenaha,coming in 9-0, has scored more than 50 points in all three games and has only given up 40 total points.  Burton, has scored an average of 30 plus points in three games, and also has given up only 40 points total.  I give the edge to Tenaha in a close battle.

2A DI
Muleshoe vs. Melissa This game is going to be very close I believe.  Melissa has only given up less than 17 points per game so far, while scoring 87 the last two games.  Muleshoe has given an average of 30 points per game, but has scored an average of nearly 40 points per game.  Coin flip for me!  It is going ot come down to who has the ball last.
Tatum vs. Hempstead I thought Tatum to run the table and win this division, and they still might, but Hempstead is in their way this week.   Tatum's defense struggled some against Crockett, but they pulled it out.  Their defense was solid until then.  Hempstead has only given up a total of 19 points in three games.  I am not sure Tatum  has enough, but I am sticking with them, Tatum wins.

2A DII
Cisco vs. Corsicana Mildred Both teams found their defense last week in throwing shutouts.  Both teams are averaging close to 40 point per game in their three games.  So, it is going to come down to whose defense wants it more this week.  Both teams came into the playoffs 10-0 and on fire.  I feel Cisco has played a little more consistent, so I am leaning towards them this week.
Lexington vs. Refugio Refugio comes into the game averaging 46 points per game, while Lexington is only giving up13 points per game.  Which will team will take advantage of their strengths? Lexington is building up momentum, while Refugio had it coming in.  I pick Refugio in a close one.

3A DI FINALS
Alvarado vs.  Chapel Hill Alvarado comes in after a solid game against Henderson, in which they dominated.  Chapel Hill had a nice game last week against W. Columbia.  I think Alvarado is going to win if they get out to an early lead.  However, if Chapel Hill can stay close, they will have a chance.  I am picking Alvarado.

3A DII
Monahans vs. Argyle The last three games of Monahans have been a hard fought battle, while Argyle has been shootouts since the first game.  Once again, a solid defense versus a strong offense.  Two pretty even teams, and I do not see either really pulling to far out ahead.  If Argyle gets on a roll early they may roll, but I do not see that happening.  I am picking Argyle close.
Coldspring-OakHurst vs. Wimberley Since having  a double over time win in their first game, Wimberley has had smooth sailing the other three games.  On the other hand, Coldspring had three very close games until last week's game.  I give the edge to the Coldspring defense this week.  Coldspring in a low scoring game.

4A DI
Hewitt Midway vs. John Tyler This a battle between a high powered offense, John Tyler, and a very solid defense in Midway.  I like offense early in the season, but at this time of the year, the team with the more solid defense usually wins.  I am going with Midway.
Pearland Dawson vs. Lake Travis Last week both teams had tight games, led by the defense.  Up until then, both were putting up big numbers offensively.  I am not sure which team will come out guns a blazing, but I am picking Lake Travis because of their reputation.

4A DII
Aledo vs. Corsicana  So, both teams are averaging 48 points per game!  Aledo is giving 10 points a game.  So,Aledo has Jonathan Grey, mister all everything, and Corsicana has a stud themselves in Cameron Washington with over 3,000 rushing yards.  I would not want o be playing defense in this game.  I am picking Aledo
Manvel vs. CC Calallen This week both teams seem to be coming into the game rolling.  Manvel is undefeated and Calallen has only one loss.  This should be a fun game to watch.  The teams are evenly matched in all facets of the game.  Special teams may play a big part in this one.  I am leaning towards Manvel.

5A DI
Southlake Carroll vs, Dallas Skyline  I believe this game will be the best game of the weekend.  You have two very athletic, tough teams who can put up points.  SLC may have an edge on defense, but Skyline may have the overall team speed.  Skyline has a very poised and athletic QB in Devante Kincad.  Kincade, just a junior, has thrown for more than 3,000 yards this season.  SLC has the reputation to put teams away at this stage, so my choice is SLC, by a nose.
FB Hightower vs. SA Madison This game features two over achieving teams, who have fought their way through tough competition. I feel they match up well and this should be a very close game.  My pick is Hightower.

5A DII
Mansfield Timberview vs. Spring Dekaney Both teams come in having played a tough bracket, and are very evenly matched.  This will be another low scoring game I think, with Timberview coming out on top.
PA Memorial vs. Cibolo Steele The teams come in close in record, but not in talent in my opinion.  Steele has to many athletes and will open this one up late in the game.  I am going with Steele.

No comments:

Post a Comment